Friday, April 18, 2008

Bred for Mediocrity

I think my parents raised me to be an average person, average in everything. Seriously. Maybe a lot of parents are like this, but I just remember my trying to break out of the mold and then being shoved, hard, right back in. I don't resent them for this. They are loving, Christian parents, and they tried to give me more than they ever had. But I think differences bothered them. And I don't think they saw the line between creative expression and "conforming to the world" or even sinfulness. Seriously, did any of you feel this way growing up? Maybe I'm using my parents' flaws to excuse a personality flaw of my own.

Whatever the case may be, I still feel like I was in my shell for about 21 years, and I am finally branching out. It causes me to test some boundaries that when I look back on them I think, "wow, shouldn't I should know better?" I think my growth as a person is a little stunted sometimes. I'll write more later on this because my brain is slow right now. I'm tired from nannying :) (I love that I'm tired from nannying. And I love that I've created the word, "nannying.") (Side note, if the thing in quotations is not a direct quote, should the punctuation mark still be in the quotations???)

2 comments:

d$ said...

hey, i think its great you've entered the nannation world... it will prepare you for little matts and little carlas running around

Tamara said...

hi carla!

i've finally added your blog to mine & my rss feed. thanks for adding mine to your list! but i think the link goes to an old site that we never did anything with. i think it needs "www." in front of "theinklingnetwork.com"

believe it or not i was just talking to my friend yesterday about the punctuation going inside the quotations. you did it right!

and, most importantly, i definitely relate to the actual content of your post. it is interesting how our parents' expectations affect our perspective, for a loooonnng time. i appreciate your vulnerability and sharing how you are growing. it is great.