Thursday, November 1, 2007

College

I want to expand my education.

Yeah, I said it. Who knows if I actually will EVER go back to college, but it's a good thought. My first goal, however is to get Matt to graduation. He told me he misses school and I would really like for him to go back if he wants. He doesn't have much more to go on his music degree. I think that when he goes back, I might try to share in the class loads with him, just to see if I could actually commit to going back myself and finishing my degree. I honestly hate school. You don't make money at it, so I kinda feel as if I'm not accomplishing a whole lot. That comes from my family background. They always were working and striving and slaving, honestly, and I probably developed some of my work ethic from them. (My parents are workhorses and I am definitely not. They have much more perseverance than I.) But yeah, I don't have a lot of desire to do papers or read 100,000 pages of ramblings on Frued's theory's of development, but I would like to say I have been trained properly on the major I had chosen. (Early Childhood Development/Education) And honestly, I am worried for my future children. I want to be as fully prepared as I can be. (Which I know, I'll never be fully prepared...blah blah blah.) But I want to homeschool my children and I want to be an intellectual leader for them, (among other things.) You know, I feel so much responsibility already for them and I feel I've let go of my responsibilities to MYSELF, as a Christian and just as an adult. Maybe I should've looked out for me when that's all I had to look out for. Maybe I should've taken some thought as to where my education or lack thereof would lead me. To this point, I'm happy with where I am, but I don't want to look back when I'm 50 and regret not finishing my education. Or maybe college is really overrated and it's actually NOT for everyone though they would have you believe otherwise. Either way, I am going to start reading more. I need to take time to read for pleasure and for enlightenment, to exercise my brain. Forget crosswords and sudoku. I will write my own crossword!!!

Hahaha. Just kidding.

Here's to my education.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I love you. Do you wanna start a book club or something of the sort?

Dana said...

Just some thoughts...
College is certainly worthwhile--please don't hear me saying otherwise. However, if you aren't totally committed to a particular field and to working in that field long enough to recoup or pay back any $ it cost you. You (and Matt) have to decide what your long term goals are. Do you want to stay home with future children from the beginning? Homeschooling? (As a homeschooling mom with a college degree, I can tell you that I'm learning much more along with Gracen than I ever did in a classroom...but maybe I wasn't paying attention :) ) If these are things that you all are committed to, your time and money may be better invested in building a solid foundation, paying off debt, and saving every penny you can. Trust me, I know! But, in the meantime, don't get so focused on the future that you miss the here and now.

Dana said...

Ooops.. didn't proofread!! That sentence should read: However, if you aren't committed to a particular field and to working in it long enough to recoup or pay back the $ it cost you, it may not be worth it.
Sorry!!

Carla said...

That's the way I kind of felt the whole time. I just needed to hear it from someone else that's living it. But I am reading more and I think that I just need to be more well rounded. Stop wasting time until I get pregnant. Both Matt and I want to go ahead and get prepared and live as much as we can and learn as much as we can before our life changes drastically. (Ha!)

And Jessica, yes! I think I just might want to start a book club.